History of St. John the Baptist's Church in Malbork
As the first sanctuary outside the castle walls, St John's Church was built for the residents of the settlement established in the 13th century. In the town's foundation charter (1276) one can find the name of Malbork parish-priest, Gerhard. The sieges of the so-called Thirteen-Year War levelled the church between 1457 and 1460. Another sanctuary was built on the old foundations. The construction took a long time - from 1467 to 1523. The new building became a brick hall church without a separate chancel. It featured a nave, two side aisles and six bays. The interior's original crystal vault was replaced with a net vault in 1534. After a fire in 1668, one bay was removed from the structure.
At the end of XVII St John's Church was destroyed once again. In 1945, restoration focused on removing the rubble, fitting the windows with glass, and protecting the remains from the elements. In 1957, Bishop Tomasz Wilczyński turned the church over to The Sons of Divine Providence - a Roman Catholic religious order founded by St Luigi Orione. Welcome to Malbork!
A Share for the church roof renovation
Konto: BGŻ S.A. o/Malbork 24 20300045 11100000 00391650